Sunday, December 18, 2005

Should surgery be seen to be done?

Oh my goodness. Check out this initiative to screen webcasts of surgery in a bid to attract patients. It's the 'live' bit that makes me feel queasy. If it were a straightforward advertisement it would be slightly less objectionable, but by making it 'live' it plays on the edginess of the potential for procedures to go wrong. The pressure of having to 'perform' on the part of the surgeons might compromise patient care if there are unexpected complications. The theatre (more aptly named than ever) will sport advertising logos. Conflict of interest anyone?

1 comment:

aj said...

Wow. I think its great that patients are being empowered by better information-giving and access, but I agree, Giskin. It's disturbing that we cannot seem to organise such a service without this air of macabre voyeurism, or playing up to the role of a performer.

In Kaplan's Dressing Station (which I'm currently reading) he communicates the adage 'See one, do one, teach one'. As ever, this rule applies perhaps to healthcare professionals but can we extrapolate it to patients with it still retaining the same purpose?

The idea of the advertising logos sickens me and I find myself thinking of premiership football matches with rotating adverts surrounding the pitch. Can we expect 'Cut of the Day' rounding up the days highlights?